RTL8168/8111 PCI express support

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 07:13:27 UTC 2008

On 6/11/08, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 03:11:22PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>  > On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:08:05PM +0200, Fernando Apestegu?a wrote:
>  > > I sent this mail to freebsd-questions but I got no answer. I hope you
>  > > can help me.
>  > >
>  > > I got a computer with an RTL8168/8111 PCI Express NIC. It is shown in
>  > > pciconf but it is not seen by FreeBSD 7. I'm using i386 arch.
>  > >
>  > > I have re and rl drivers compiled in the kernel (stock GENERIC kernel,
>  > > actually).
>  > >
>  > > What do I need to make the NIC work properly?
>  >
>  > CC'ing PYUN YongHyeon, who should be able to help, since he helps
>  > maintain the driver.  :-)
>
> I don't know which revision of RealTek controller you have. Just
> knowing "pciconf -lv" is not enough. Since 7.0 didn't recognize
> your controller I guess it could be newer revision from RealTek.
> There is a WIP version that try to add support for newer
> controllers. In order to try the WIP version you have to update to
> latest 7-stable first and apply the following patch.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080610
>
> The patch still have some issues but it should detect/recognize
> your controller.

It makes sense what you say about the new revision cause the whole
computer is quite new. In any case I will paste the "pciconf -lv"
output just to be sure of the controller I have.

I already have the 7-stable system installed with the kernel sources
installed from sysinstall. Do I need any update of the source code?

Thanks in advance.