git problems

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Wed Jun 4 14:48:16 UTC 2008

Chuck,

Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:32:27AM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > Any possibility of using ElectricFence (devel/ElectricFence)
> > for chasing memory-related troubles?
>
> Now that I have gdb working with me again, I am checking the git-fetch image to
> see where it got lost.  If I must bring a tool such as ElectricFence I, I guess
> I must, just I'm a bit irritated that the git build has one of those make
> "improvements" (NOT) that instead of telling you the buid line, just gives you
> "CC sourcename.c" which for anyone who knows code is just irritating, not any
> sort of help at all.

No problems, just issue 'make V=1' instead of just 'make' in the
<ports>/devel/git -- it will give you all flags and will eliminate
the fancies.  And 'make V=1 CFLAGS="-O0 -g"' will produce unoptimized
binary with debug symbols that can be directly traced by gdb with
all symbols and right (unoptimized, as in the sources) code paths.

For the ElectricFence -- it dumps core just after startup, I don't
know why.  So it is not very much usable now, at least for me.

Thank you.
--
Eygene