Laptop suggestions?

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Thu Jul 31 08:13:08 UTC 2008

Matt Olander wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:34:32 -0500, Frank Mayhar <frank at exit.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My old Dell Inspiron 5160 has developed problems that I can't fix,
>>> sigh,
>>> so it's time to replace it.  I'm hoping for some good suggestions from
>>> this list (cc'd to hackers for the exposure, I know everyone doesn't
>>> read -mobile).
>>>
>>> My criteria:
>>>      * 3D acceleration.
>>>      * MiniPCI wireless (don't care which card, I'll replace it
>>>        anyway).
>>>      * At least 15" screen.
>>>      * Decent power consumption.
>>>      * Plays well with FreeBSD 7-stable.
>>>
>>> Nice to have:
>>>      * Dual core.
>>>      * >4GB memory.
>>>      * Working suspend/hibernate mode (and no, I'm not holding my
>>>        breath).
>>>
>>> So, suggestions?  BTW, if I get a decent response I'll summarize it for
>>> the list, along with the one I chose and my experience after
>>> ordering/installing it.
>>
>> Maybe you can wait for this:
>>
>> http://www.ixsystems.com/products/bsd-laptop.html
>
> Hi everyone! I actually had our prototype of this laptop up at the
> OSCON show in Portland and it was pretty well received.
> Everything works for the most part although we're still tweaking some
> things for ACPI.
>
> I'll have one at the FreeBSD booth at LinuxWorld in San Francisco next
> week, August 5-7. We'll announce as soon as this thing is 100% and
> we're comfortable bringing the product line up as an item that we're
> comfortable supporting long term. Most likely, available to the
> general public in September.
Does it have web cam btw ? I do not saw in spec, but on the picture
looks like it have.
My experience show, that if one want to have decent 3D acceleration on
freebsd, there is only one way - i386 + nvidia driver.
I know Intel video cards are very pro-open source, but the driver for
those cards is not better then nvidia's.
Also I guess some time will pass before we see those laptops in Europe?

--

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev