Laptop suggestions?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Jul 30 21:58:45 UTC 2008

> From: Achim Patzner <ap at bnc.net>
> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:20:28 +0200
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Am 30.07.2008 um 18:40 schrieb Dag-Erling Smørgrav:
> > I don't understand what Macs have to do with this - we're talking
> > about
> > iX Systems's made-for-BSD laptop.
>
> The thread started with someone asking for a mobile computer that
> would support FreeBSD sufficiently and nobody came up with something
> fitting the bill (and being available somewhere). Considering the
> picture you're seeing at any place where more than two hardcore Unix
> users assemble you're seeing a majority of Macs. There has to be an
> obvious reason for that... I tried to break that habit more than once
> but right now the only comfortable way of running FreeBSD on a laptop
> is VMware Fusion on a Mac. Reading this entire thread convinced me
> even more.

I have been running for the last two years in a ThinkPad T43 and it
works fine. ATI graphics work well as does everything except the
modem. Since I don't have any access to any dialup network service any
more, I don't think I care, although I do carry an old PCMCIA modem
card, just in case. Suspend also does not work reliably, but I don't
normally suspend my system, anyway, so I don't notice that, either.

Atheros wireless, Broadcomm Ethernet, graphics, DRI, USB all just work
and have worked since V6.1 days.

That said, I suspect that my next laptop with be a Mac with either
VMware or Parallels, My wife already runs one and it's pretty nice.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)