Laptop suggestions?

L Campbell llc2w at virginia.edu
Wed Jul 30 20:50:41 UTC 2008

> right now the only comfortable way of running FreeBSD on a laptop is
VMware Fusion on a Mac.

It depends on what you consider to be "comfortable". My primary machine is
an old Dell Inspiron 6000 (running the RELENG_7 branch) and the only
hardware compatibility issue I've ever had was that suspend/hibernate
doesn't work (display doesn't come back on).

I'm much more comfortable with ignorable ACPI issues on old (but perfectly
capable) hardware than running everything through a VM on a brand new
top-of-the-line machine.

While this message is entirely anecdotal, I'm sure there are quite a few
other people happily running FreeBSD on a variety of machines (albeit,
somewhat aged hardware) which doesn't come near the specifications outlined
in the original post.