Laptop suggestions?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Jul 25 13:00:42 UTC 2008

On 2008-Jul-25 13:36:37 +0300, Aggelidis Nikos <aggelidis.news at gmail.com> wrote:
>From my perspective freebsd should "advertise"(*)  the laptops that
>work with it, out of the box, so that new users {like me} know what to
>buy;

Who do you suggest is going to do this?  Buying one of every type of
laptop, installing (or working out how to install) FreeBSD and
checking which bits of the laptop do/don't work with which version of
FreeBSD is an expensive exercise in both time and effort.  The best
that exists at present is http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/ - but it
suffers from the problem that by the time someone has bought a laptop
and checked it out, that model is obsolete.  In my case, I bought my
laptop because I knew someone who had the identical model.

> and large corporations have a benefit for promoting OS
>compatibility other than Windows(tm).

The vendors don't seem interested in doing this - I suspect that they
are pressured not to support anything other than Winbloze (you might
notice that two very high profile Linux-only laptops have recently
grown Winbloze variants).  Successive generations of laptops have
become less and less free-OS-friendly.

--
Peter Jeremy