Hardware support for AMD Geode CS5536 audio?

Bruce R. Montague brucem at mail.cruzio.com
Sun Jul 13 18:20:58 UTC 2008

Hi, re:

> Bruce,
>
> This is Andrew Gray.  I am running an Alix-1C board with the CS5536 on it.
> This board is very nice.  It's only about $138 and it has a good "standard"
> clone AWARD bios that we are all used to (unlike say, the Soekris boards).
> It uses only 5 watts and has everthing including 21 GPIO pins.
> (except is doesn't have a Freebsd sound driver yet.
> <---snip--->
>
> http://www.mini-box.com/Alix-1C-Board-1-LAN-1-MINI-PCI?sc=8&category=754

Looks like a nice board, close to the reference
platform, and has exposed audio (unlike some of the
Geode-based embedded systems). Looks like a decent
CS5536 audio development platform. Its use of the
CS5536 is not apparent from a casual skim of the
web-page, thanks, I would not have known about it
if not for your mail.

> A question for you?  Do Freebsd 4.6 drivers still work on freebsd 6.2 and 7.0?

Not sure, I haven't had relevant Geode hardware up
for awhile...  I'd be rather surprised if even for
the CS5530 something hadn't changed or needed
tweaking, but I don't know.

> Are you working on this CS5536 driver?  Do you have hardware yet?

I don't have hardware, but I've just ordered an
Alix-1C. :)

I haven't been working on this. I had googled for
a few days without finding anything that looked
like a convenient dev platform (mostly closed
embedded systems). I also came across info at AMD's
site that implied the CS5536 had been end-of-lifed
and that made me a bit depressed. Does anyone know,
BTW, if this is the case?

When I get this Alix-1C I will try to get something
up. But it will definitely just be in "all-too-infrequent
spare-time cycles between real-life and dayjob",
so we're talking weekend-and-late-night-hobby here.
If anyone such as yourself want to hack away on it,
that would be great too. I'll try to stay in touch.

Thanks,

-bruce