error 1 lba 752976 while booting from USB key to install

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jul 10 13:01:57 UTC 2008

Matthias Apitz wrote:
 > so I cam up with the idea to boot from that USB key I have used to
 > install 7.0-REL on that eeePC, i.e. the USB key works fine in any
 > laptop; on the HP NAT 1000s storage system it says:
 >
 > FreBSD/i386
 > Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel

Hm.  Strange.  The boot0 code should load /boot/loader,
not the kernel.  (While it is possible to load the kernel
directly under certain conditions, AFAIK, it is better
to go the "official" way and let the bootloader do its
job.)

Have you modified the boot sequence on that USB stick in
a special way?  Please make sure that it contains the
proper infrastructure, i.e. a /boot directory with the
loader, a kernel subdirectory etc.

If it still fails, I suggest you try a more recent
version of FreeBSD.  I don't know if it's related to
your problem, but there has been a significant change
in the boot loader code (so-called BTX) that fixes
USB-booting on certain machines.  You can either csup
RELENG_7 and build a fresh /boot directory, or fetch
it from the June snapshot.  Then replace /boot/loader
on your USB stick with the new one, and don't forget
to re-install the bootblocks, too (bsdlabel -B).

Best regards
   Oliver

$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=test.pl count=1
$ file test.pl