Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years

Mike Makonnen mtm at wubethiopia.com
Thu Jul 10 05:13:57 UTC 2008

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Rink Springer wrote:

>>> Actually, this is probably the easiest part (at least for UFS). The
>>> libdisk(3) library abstracts most of it out of the installer.
>>
>> ...except that libdisk(3) was supposed to be a temporary hack. I'd
>> really
>> suggest that something cleaner is to be written; libdisk(3) really is
>> not the way to go. Have a look at the code and see for yourself.
>
> Yes, libdisk is bad. GEOM_PART has been designed
> for use by installers. It can be interfaced
> faily easily. See gpart(8) for example.

Is there documentation for the geom_part API somewhere (I couldn't find any)
or do I have to look at gpart(8) to figure out how to use it? Is it ok to
just use gpart(8) instead of using the geom_part API?

Cheers.

--
Mike Makonnen       | GPG-KEY: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm @ FreeBSD.Org   | AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8  5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55