Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years / sorry I started flame war

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jul 3 22:07:15 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:28:50 -0700
> From: "Rob Lytle" <jan6146 at gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current at freebsd.org
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm sorry I started a kind of flame war.  All I wanted was two things:  1.
> CD's that installed without being switched in and out dozens of times.  That
> was fixed by the suggestion of using a DVD.  I didn't even know the DVD
> install existed, but will do that next time.

You call this a flame war? It's been pretty civil and there are no scorch
marks on my display.

I agree that the disk swapping is not a good thing, but I simply avoid
it by never installing packages from sysinstall. I only use sysinstall
for FreeBSD.

Once I have FreeBSD installed, I update my ports tree with csup (but
portsnap is probably a better way) and install ruby and
portupgrade. Then I simply install the ports/packages I want using
'portinstall -P'. This assures that I have the latest ports and not
something stale. I can speed the process by copying all of the packages
from CD to my system (/usr/ports/packages/All). That way, only ports
that have been updated since the release will be downloaded and I only
have to change CDs a couple of times.

> 2.  Being able to use Sysinstall and not having it crash when a dependency
> is already present.  Sometimes I like to use Sysinstall to  install gigantic
> packages where the compile time is 26 hours, e.g KDE metapackage, and my
> notebook uses an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2Ghz or thereabout.  That is one hell
> of a long compile time.  For this request I will just have to wait for
> FreeBSD 10.0.

I have not seen this, but I don't sue sysinstall to install
packages/ports.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)