FreeBSD 7 64 bits kernel crash debugging

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:52:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Fernando Apesteguía
<fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm experiencing several kernel crashes with the GENERIC kernel and
> with custom kernels as well. One of my MP3 players seems to be
> recognized, but if I disconnect it from the USB port (even without
> mounting the device), I got a kernel crash.
>
> I've tried to follow the instructions at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html
> I have dumpdev and dumpdir properly set to my swap partition (ad0s2b)
> and to /var/crash.
>
> However, during the next boot, I got a message that indicates it is
> looking for a dump on such device but it couldn't find any.
>
> How can I track this error?

Have you enabled at least KDB/DDB debugger support so you can look at
a stack trace ("t") and post this?  This will at least give us/you
some idea on what is crashing...

Add minimally to your kernel build conf file:

options DDB
options KDB

Rebuild, reboot, and test.  I'm not sure why a crash dump is not
working.  Have you tried specifying your dump device in your kernel
config file?

Let us know,

-aps