Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Thu Jul 3 09:53:47 UTC 2008

Antoine BRUNEL wrote:

> In conclusion, I can agree you in that the "sysinstall" soft is a bit
> out-dated, but it respond on a need of a BSD philosophy: just installing
> a working operating system. All the later tasks have to be done by
> "hands". But that's exactly what I wanted when I replaced Windows /
> Debian  to FreeBSD: having a full control on my system.
>
> So, just another useless contribution.....

Useless ... for you. Conversely, for me it is your drivel which is
useless, and much worse harmful. The "full control" you are advocating
is totally useless for almost everybody. On the other hand, while
even well known FreeBSD developers concede that there are problems in
the present installation (*) and packaging tools, and it is clear that
these problems are harming FreeBSD adoption, there is a group of users,
whose relative importance i don't know, but who are very vocal, and
whose aim is to preserve the statu quo. What is lacking for FreeBSD is
some sort of Ubuntu, which has built a great success on the solid basis
of Debian, but working around the conservatism of the Debian
nomenklatura. Maybe pcbsd will do the same, but is is not obvious at
present.

(*) even the author of said tools wrote from the beginning that these
tools were quick hacks, not really adequate. The situation is much worse
now, since the installation tool knows nothing about modern FreeBSD
features, such as geom mirror, etc. , while the packaging tools, which
worked OK with 5000 ports, show their limits with 18000 ports.

--

Michel TALON