Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years / thanks for responding

Sean Cavanaugh Millenia2000 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 3 03:36:16 UTC 2008

From: Rob Lytle
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 7:59 PM
To: Sean Cavanaugh ; freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org ;
freebsd-current at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years /
thanks for responding

Thanks Sean,

This is the first time I ever actually downloaded all 3 CD's so i didn't
know what I was getting into.  I had always just used the first CD for the
initial install, then ports for everything else.  Next time I will use the
dvd.  Actually that would have been perfect as I got one of those unusual
550kB/s connections from ftp, lol.

But I decided this time to get as many packages as quickly as possible, then
run portupgrade on them to get the latest versions.  I just did a make
buildworld and made the kernel.  Now I'm waiting here to do the make
installworld after I go shopping.

Plus its so hot here in Oregon I have to put the fan on my Sony VAIO
SZ460N/C laptop.  Its small but overheats, esp when using the NVidea
graphics, so I use the i810 instead.

I'm having problems with portupgrade though.  Something got screwed up so a
bunch of package compiles are failing.  Most all of KDE is in there but it
wont start and doesn't even give error messages, even when started with the
console.  In contrast Windowmaker works fine, so that is what I'm using now.

I got another copy of ports.tar.gz as perhaps the old copy was corrupted, so
after world gets installed, I will try portupgrade again.

Sincerely,  Rob

try 'portsnap'. it will maintain your /usr/ports folder for you. or use
'cvsup' on it. there are much better ways to maintain your ports folder
without resorting to downloading the hideous ports.tar.gz file and
extracting it.
You also might want to remove and reinstall kde if its screwing up for you

-Sean