Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 2 22:59:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Rob Lytle wrote:

> My depressing analysis- YMMV. I've used FreeBSD since 1998.

The good news is that there are no less than three in-progress sysinstall
replacements.  At least two have been posted about recently with test ISOs for
7.0.  And there are at least a couple of other variations floating around,
such as the PC-BSD installer.  So I think we can expect to see non-trivial
progress here in the next year.  My primary concern about some of these
replacement installer projects is that they've placed a strong focus on making
them graphical -- I actually couldn't care less about GUIs (and I think they
actually hurt my configurations, since I use serial consoles a lot), but what
I do want is a very tight and efficient install process, which I feel
sysinstall does badly on (not just for the reasons you specify).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge