[OT] Q: what would you choose for a VCS today

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 31 10:21:28 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:02 -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:45:55 +0200 "Adrian Penisoara" <ady at freebsd.ady.ro> wrote:
> .... Subversion is a close second, but is still a little rough
> around the edges. Most notably, merge tracking is in the 1.5 beta
> builds, but not in the production code.
>
> 	<mike

At $JOB, we moved to subversion from CVS about 2-3 years ago. We're
still using subversion for everything, and use svnmerge.py [1] to manage
development and release branches. It isn't ideal, as you lose
information about the individual commits within a merged patchset, which
makes it a minor pain to back out a specific commit from a merged
patchset.

Other features we're looking forward to is read-only slaves that post
back commits to a global master site, which would greatly please our
North American colleagues, save them from having to pull repos from over
the pond.

Tom

[1] http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py