How long is a hz?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Mon Jan 28 11:15:39 PST 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008, Sean Bruno wrote:
> I couldn't quite find the definition for "hz" in sys/ this morning.
> What is it's value and where is it defined?

sys/kern/subr_param.c:int   hz;
sys/sys/time.h:     int     hz;         /* clock frequency */

sys/kernel.h:extern int tick;           /* usec per tick (1000000 / hz) */
sys/kernel.h:extern int hz;             /* system clock's frequency */

The actual value for hz comes from your kernel configuration.  The default
is "options HZ=1000" at the moment.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org