FreeBSD hacker 101

KAYVEN RIESE kayve at sfsu.edu
Sat Jan 26 15:55:55 PST 2008

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Mike Meyer wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:24:36 -0800 (PST) KAYVEN  RIESE <kayve at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>>> KAYVEN  RIESE <kayve at sfsu.edu> writes:

> .rpm is a package format, and comes with a tool set for using it. Most
> (all?) GNU/Linux systems come with tools for dealing with it, but they
> all also come with tools for dealing with .tgz. Some GNU/Linux distros
> use .rpm to distribute their software, but not all do. I don't think
> any Unix systems have adopted it; most of them have packaging systems
> that predate .rpm, and they're all different. Different package
> formats for vendor software isn't a GNU/Linux vs. FreeBSD or Unix
> thing, it's a fact of line in a multi-platform Unix environment.

my reason for bringing the whole thing up was based on the idea
that this person might be used to using *.rpm all the time and this
would be a difference he would experience moving to freeBSD, if
this was the case.  if this is not the case for him, as you seem
to be implying, then.. well.. still.. he must know to avoid
*.rpm distributions in any case unless he installs a *.rpm compatibility
tool.  is that part of the linux-compat stuff that freeBSD has?