FreeBSD hacker 101

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Fri Jan 25 00:22:03 PST 2008

"william wong" <beijing.liangjie at gmail.com> writes:
> That brings me to another ponder: why juniper and cisco are using
> FreeBSD and not Linux even Linux performs better in an UP environment?

Who said Linux performs better in a UP environment?

UP performance is close to irrelevant these days anyway; there are still
many UP machines (especially in the embedded world), but application
code is increasingly dependent on multithreading, and the kind of things
you have to do to your kernel to get good multithreading performance are
pretty much the same things you have to do to get good SMP performance.

In any case, I doubt UP or SMP performance was the biggest factor in the
decision.  The licensing model, the stability of the code base (between
major releases) and possibly the quality of the network stack are likely
to have played a larger role.

This is all speculation, however; I don't work at Juniper or Cisco.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no