FreeBSD hacker 101

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Jan 24 09:27:28 PST 2008

"william wong" <beijing.liangjie at gmail.com> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
> > "william wong" <beijing.liangjie at gmail.com> writes:
> > > It seems that Juniper favors the even number FreeBSD's.
> > Only because 5 was a dog.  They probably stuck with 4 for a while, then
> > switched to 6 once they had ascertained that it was significantly more
> > stable than 5.  I would be surprised if they skipped 7.
> Please pardon my ignorance of the jargons. Does that mean 5 is not
> stable or does not perform or what?

FreeBSD 5 was not a very good series.  It was released late and had
issues with both stability and performance.  FreeBSD 6 corrected the
stability issues and some of the worst performance issues.  FreeBSD 7
took care of the remaining performance issues; it may not be as fast as
4 was on UP, but it beats Linux on SMP.

(there's no point in comparing SMP performance between 4 and 7 since 4
had a single-threaded kernel and practically no userland thread support)

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no