FreeBSD hacker 101

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Jan 24 05:08:10 PST 2008

"william wong" <beijing.liangjie at gmail.com> writes:
> Thanks for enlightening me on different aspects. Actually I found there are
> many exciting network stack projects/overhaul happening in FreeBSD 8. I just
> want to gear up myself and see what I can do. I have got 6.3 installed and
> tweaking some of the kernel modification and compilation process so that i
> can get myself acquainted to the software development process.

You should really, really upgrade to 7.  Nobody is doing any serious
work on 6 (beyond merging bug fixes back from 7); all the exciting work
happens in 8, and kernel patches against 8 will very rarely apply
cleanly to 6.

> It seems that Juniper favors the even number FreeBSD's.

Only because 5 was a dog.  They probably stuck with 4 for a while, then
switched to 6 once they had ascertained that it was significantly more
stable than 5.  I would be surprised if they skipped 7.

> So get to know about FB8 could be ahead of them :)

I very much doubt it.  Juniper employs several veteran FreeBSD
developers (and so does Cisco, for that matter).

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no