gettimeofday() in hping

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Tue Jan 22 07:04:10 PST 2008

Hi,

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com> writes:
>
>> I tested all different combination. The performance change is almost
>> invisible (100-200KB/s), and can't be compared with the performance
>> boost that TSC gain over ACPI-fast timecounter.  Unfortunately TSC
>> doesn't play nice with power saving modes.
>>

> This will vary greatly from machine to machine, depending on the exact
> hardware and the ACPI BIOS.
>
> More modern machines have an HPET timer which is supposedly faster than
> ACPI yet more reliable than TSC.
>
> DES

I do not have HEPT on the servers that I test, but simple test on my
laptop shows
that hping can generate with ACPI-fast ~4MB/s traffic, 5MB/s with HPET
and 8MB/s with TSC. I didn't check dummy time counter.
Also I noticed that there is a kern.timecounter.tc.XXX.quality (read only).
Can this be used to reduce quality and speed up performance?

--

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev