ATAPI dvdreader always fails on a particular DVD movie title

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Mon Jan 21 07:08:28 PST 2008

Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org> writes:
> In a nut shell, in many places it's illegal to use 'nonauthorized'
> tools (like libdvdcss) to decrypt DVDs for any purpose (including
> playback).

Please provide documentation.  It's certainly not illegal in Europe, not
in Canada as far as I know; I'm unsure about the US, but it seems to be
permitted under the DMCA's Section 1201(f) (caveat: IANAL).

> On top of that, the underlying tool used by nearly everything that
> reads movie DVDs on FreeBSD (libdvdcss) is unmaintained by anyone
> upstream, as time goes on more and more dvds are released that it
> either can't decrypt or are able to choke it.

I am not aware of any DVDs that libdvdcss chokes on.  The last time I
heard of such a thing, I loaned Sam Hocevar a copy and he fixed it.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no