ATAPI dvdreader always fails on a particular DVD movie title

Maslan maslanbsd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 19:27:21 PST 2008

Hi,
I got some errors like this when trying to burn a data cd/dvd.
I've filled a PR : http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=119374

Machine: HP Pavilion dv6000
CD/DVD: DVDR <MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-850S/1.05

I think it has something to do with my BIOS settings, if i disable the
"native sata" support from bios i got my drive number changed on
FreeBSD like ad0 now becomes ad3 and the CD/DVD ROM always prints this
error messages and fails to complete. But if i enabled this option i
still got the same errors but it mostly complete burning.
(note: i disable this option to enable some old OSes to run as WinXP
which needs it disabled in order to install).

Linux has no problem with drive numbers, but it fails too when i
disable this option.
WinXP must run with option disabled and it never work.

You can find my dmesg & uname attached in the PR.

Thanks a lot.

On Jan 18, 2008 6:11 PM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
> I tried to make a backup copy of one DVD that I own and 'dvdbackup'
> always fails at a particular point.
>
> Running it under 'truss' I discovered that particular
> 'read' operation always fails after successfully reading hundreds of MB.
>
> Doesn't seem to be specific to a particular DVD drive.
> Out of curiosity I ordered another copy of the same DVD and it failed
> in the same manner.
>
> Log of the relevant kernel calls:
> open("/dev/acd0",O_RDONLY,05010132000)           = 3 (0x3)
> <standard authentication ioctls>
> <some successful reads>
> lseek(3,0x132cd800,SEEK_SET)                     = 321705984 (0x132cd800)
> read(3,"\0\0\^A\M-:D\0\^D\0\^D\^A\^A\M^I"...,1048576) = 1048576 (0x100000)
> <more reads sequentially reading in total ~173 MB>
> read(3,0x28300000,1048576)                       ERR#5 'Input/output error'
>
> And dmesg simultaneously gets these messages:
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x05
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x05
>
> So for some reason failure occurs at ~495 MB offset on the disk.
>
> I believe this issue is not 7.0 related since I saw it happening in 6.X
> before. Also some other particular titles always have the same problem
> while most titles work ok.
>
> Is this a known issue?
>
> Yuri

System Programmer
--
I'm Searching For Perfection,
So Even If U Need Portability U've To Use Assembly ;-)