Trying to support my product on BSD

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 18 05:01:39 PST 2008

On 18/01/2008, navneet Upadhyay <navneet.upadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>        My product is successfully running on Linux( all most all versions)
> and HP- UX and Windows .
>
>   *It is 100 % C++ code*.

A good start. It could get ugly though, depends on your compiler version and how
much of your code is linux specific. :)

>  I am planning to support it on FreeBSD, i have two queries :
>
> 1. *How to build my code into binaries* on FreeBSD , i have my unix make
> files. Just to give an idea i have around 200 cpp files and they complile to
> 5 binaries . I am using multithreading(posix on linux) and sockets heavily.

I'd suggest installing the gmake port in FreeBSD, going into your
source directory and typing 'gmake'. See how far you get.

> 2.* How to package the binaries*(RPM sort of thing). Idea is to provide a
> package to user who can install them binaries using this package by issuing
> single command.

FreeBSD has a ports system which lets you automate a source build of a
package and optionally build a binary package you can distribute to
your clients.

> Please let me know if there is anyother forum where i can get answers to my
> queries, as i will be needing lot of help in near future.

Well, here's a good a place as any I guess, although if you're after
more commercial help then I'm sure someone who does that sort of thing
can pipe up.

In theory, well-written C/C++ should "just work" across platforms. In
practice, you'll probably have to modify some Linux-specific stuff to
work, although you've probably gone through that pain already to port
it to HP/UX and Windows.

HTH,

Adrian

Adrian Chadd - adrian at freebsd.org