nvidia working?

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Mon Jan 14 12:54:38 PST 2008

Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org>:
> I was wondering ... I have (I think) nvidia working on my box, or at
> least, I am calling out the nvidia driver in the xorg.conf, but I was
> wondering if there is any program that only works with the nvidia
> hardware, some way I can absolutely prove that I have the real nvidia
> card working here?  Before I had it working, I was using the vesa
> driver, and most things look exactly the same, and if I could fine some
> program that shows the 8600GTS's abilities, I would sure like that.

btw -questions would probably have been a better forum for this
question than -hackers.

The most straightforward approach is probably to review the output of
your Xorg log, e.g. /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Output from the nvidia driver
will be prefixed by NVIDIA (rather than VESA or NV if you were using a
different driver).

There is also x11/nvidia-settings port. It's a control panel of sorts
that will show you nvidia-specific information. In theory it lets you
control some settings as well but personally I've never found it useful
for that. YMMV.

JN