netgraph question

Subhash Gopinath subhashg.unix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:26:27 PST 2008

Hello folks,

I am looking at writing an application program to tap certain ipv6 packets
(say icmpv6)
using netgraph. The application has to do some processing, before kernel can
proceed
with those packets.

I have vaguely understood netgraph, and I see that I need a ng_socket node
in the application, an ng_bpf node, and an ng_ether or ng_iface node in the
kernel.

My question is. would I need to create such nodes for each interface. Then
it becomes unscalable..
Can I have just one socket, bpf, iface node that can tap icmpv6 packets on
all interfaces?

I'll reiterate if this question was not clear. Any help would be greatly
appreciated...
Otherwise I'll have to end up using raw sockets..

Thanks,
Subhash