select

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Jan 3 11:53:32 PST 2008

Metin KAYA <metin at EnderUNIX.org> writes:
> Yes Rick, I'm asking this "indefinitely" issue. Is there anything that
> handle this NULL situation a signal, or etc.? How does Linux or
> FreeBSD behave?

Please don't top-post.

Like most other system calls that block "indefinitely", select(2) will
be interrupted by signals.  This is *also* documented in the man page
you didn't read:

     [EINTR]            A signal was delivered before the time limit expired
                        and before any of the selected events occurred.

See sigaction(2) for details on how to modify the way system calls
behave when a signal is delivered.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no