Porting from linux to FreeBSD (procfs question)

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 3 08:33:43 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 05:16:42PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 03/01/2008, Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, that's my problem. In Linux I can get from /proc/cpuinfo for
> > example: name, model, stepping, cache size, clock speed, supported
> > extensions, etc...
> > But using sysctl in FreeBSD (sysctl -a) I can only see name and vendor
> > for the cpu and a few more things. Am I limited to the variables
> > showed in sysctl -a?
>
> Probably. I don't know if there's anything that can give you the
> details present in cpuinfo (except using CPUID data directly).

Best bet is parsing or using the hw.model sysctl, or if you need
lower-level information, there is a port that apparently gets cache size
and other data.

There are very few things I liked about Linux /proc when I used it, but
getting h/w information happened to be one of them...