problem with loading all fixed now

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Fri Feb 29 18:34:56 UTC 2008

Chuck Robey wrote:
>> Ben Kaduk wrote:
>
>>> cat nvidia_load="YES"" >> /boot/loader.conf
>> I'd never heard that about it needing absolutely to load at boot time, but
>> you were absolutely right, I have it working now.
>
>> It also made my loading problem (I don't know if I complained on hackers
>> about that or not).  No, in looking back to by send-cache, I don't think I
>> did,  Immediately after I finally got all my raid array proboems fixed, I
>> found really that there was only 1 remaining: booting my raid.
>
>> I have definitely the boot-manager loaded onto ad1 (my 100G emergency eide
>> disk) and da0 (my raid).  I normally would strike f1 to load the eide for
>> emergencies, and f5, then f1, to load from the raid.  Well, now, no matter
>> what I press, I load from the eide disk.  If I intercept the boot at the
>> beastie menu, and press 6 to get into the loader, I find currdev is
>> _always_ set to disk1s1a (the eide, ad1).  If I want to boot the raid, I
>> need to manually do a "set currdev=disk2s1a" then unload, then load the
>> kernel AND manually load all the modules, because loder.conf isn't getting
>> read either.
>
>> Once I went thru all that, the nvidia driver worked fine, as you predicted,
>> any notion why the loading has gone screwey?  I can add one thing:  When I
>> initially installed the system, I was just coming back from using Linux for
>> some years, and I forgot that while Linux is in love with using a small
>> /boot partition to store the kernels and the bootloader, FreeBSD isn't.  I
>> had stuck the /boot only onto da1s1d, with my root onto da0s1a.  I was
>> version of a just-useable boot onto myu da1s1a, and that was what was
>> actually booting.  When I got rid of the /boot mount line in fstab, and
>> expected things to work ok, this odd refusal to correctly boot from
>> disk2s1a began.
>
> Well, found 50% of the problems, my device,hints had a line mis-setting
> currdev, once I fixed that, it now boots from the right disk.  One booting
> problem remaining: it won't read my /boot/loader.conf.  simple file, 2
> whole lines:

I found that my linker.hints was loading one module, so (thinks I) why not
try to load them all there, and it workedd like a charm.  My loader.conf
isn't working now, but it really doesn't bother me all that much.

I have only a single problem remaining, it's a audio one, so I am off to
the multimedia list, and I thank you for letting me lean on you whilst I
stewed in my problems.  They all seem to come to me in big waves, never one
at a time, and it's not even a thing of one problme having multiple
symptoms, they each had t heir own fix.  God is watching me and having a
nice chuckle over this, I guess.