Is it possible that modern wireless card only supports WPA and not WEP or this is a bug in the driver?

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Thu Feb 28 00:52:42 UTC 2008

Yuri wrote:
> Pietro Cerutti wrote:
>> It wouldn't make sense. Flags are used to specify capabilities of the
>>   interface, not things provided by the operating system.
>>

> This is very confusing to user.
> User is assumed to have this bit of knowledge that WEP flag actually
> means only hardware support, not support in general.
>
> On another note WEP is actually supported by interface but driver authors
> didn't bother to use it. So WEP flag doesn't represent actual
> capabilities of
> the interface and this is again confusing.
>
> When I type 'ifconfig <iface> ...' I am mostly interested what can I
> use from
> that side, not what is supported by hardware. Is there any way to know
> what is
> logically supported by network interface as passed to 'ifconfig' vs. what
> is supported by hardware interface?

If you cannot use a feature you'll get an error when you try to use it.
There simply are not enough capability bits around to waste on features
that are always true.  If I reorg this stuff (and I intend to to split
crypto out into a separate features word because we are out of bits)
then I can look into expanding the status.

To be honest you're the first person that's even noticed you can list
capabilities in the 3+ years that's been in place (or at least made
public mention).  Hardly seems like something that's constantly confused
people.

    Sam