find -lname and -ilname implemented

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Feb 27 17:09:52 UTC 2008

In message: <20080225175841.GC81874 at dragon.NUXI.org>
            "David O'Brien" <obrien at freebsd.org> writes:
: On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 12:07:44AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <20080225005429.38f0c91a at bhuda.mired.org>
: >             Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org> writes:
: > You fail to understand the complex interplay of politics here.  These
: > people do not want to see beyond it.  They want to shut you down
: > because you aren't using their beloved Linux.  They use stupid excuses
: > to not do things.  This is about removing barriers to entry.  This
: > isn't about being popular.
: ..
: > : Um, if FreeBSD has to become GNU in order to win GNU users, what's the
: > : point? Skip the pain, switch to GNU, and get the popularity you want
: > : and the platform you deserve with no delay.
: >
: > Hello?  BSDL calling.  You left your GPL here and we don't want it.
:
: For some of these uses of FreeBSD - I really have to wonder if
: GNU/kFreeBSD (Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is a port that consists of GNU userland
: using the GNU C library on top of FreeBSD's kernel) isn't a better
: choice.  http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/
:
: One can keep their kernel changes private IP without worry.  I doubt most
: companies would claim they have IP that needs protecting in their GNU
: userland changes.

True, but using the GPL goes beyond just giving out your changes.
If you mess up in shipping your product, even once, even by accident,
the GPL has a provision that terminates your license, so you are
unable to ship that "work" any more until you go back to the license
hold and get it restored.  This aspect of the GPL is used by
GPL-trolls to extract payments from companies.  It is also little
enforced by other IP holders if you make it right.

Warner