Modular type GENERIC?

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Mon Feb 25 18:23:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 07:26:04PM +0900, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> I was just wondering why we're not shipping a GENERIC type
> configuration that simply loads the modules at startup, rather than a
> statically linked kernel. I thought that was a large part of the push
> for the modular framework in years past.
..
> http://people.freebsd.org/~adrian/loader.conf

As you've shown the magic is in the loader.conf.  I don't know a good way
to handle this other than attempt to load every module (like Microsoft NT
installer does) - and hope the probe of a driver that doesn't claim a
device doesn't leave that device in a bad state.

Have you tried putting every module in /boot/kernel into loader.conf in a
"load" statement?

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)