Anybody have a patch for pdksh derivatives, for jails?

Mon Feb 25 13:24:40 UTC 2008

Quoting cali clarke <xorquewasp at googlemail.com> (from Sun, 24 Feb 2008
19:42:01 +0100):

> Hi.
>
> pdksh and derivatives (openbsd ksh, mirbsd mksh etc) all have
> the same "bug" with regards to jails. On all of my systems, trying
> to start *ksh in a jail results in a message that /dev/tty could
> not be opened (device busy) and that the shell will not have
> job control. For some reason, this makes pretty much any
> curses or screen editor fail to run.
>
> Note that also, this problem does NOT occur if you use ssh
> to enter the jail as I believe ssh handles tty allocation in
> advance.

You don't give enough info. I assume you talk about a login into the
host system and then doing a "jexec X pdksh" to login into a jail. The
important question here is the how you login into the host system.

> I wondered if anybody had patched their *ksh to workaround
> this problem?

So far it is not clear that the bug is within the *ksh. It may be also
the case that the problem should be fixed somewhere else.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
It's easier to get forgiveness for being
wrong than forgiveness for being right.