find -lname and -ilname implemented

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Feb 25 05:28:33 UTC 2008

Mike Meyer wrote:

> What's ridiculous? That the only limit is the developers definition of
> "trivial"? Care to provide another one? That OS X turned /bin/sh into
> bash? I'd agree that that's ridiculous, except it's a fact. That they
> did it to make OS X more compatible with Linux? Would you like me to
> try and dig up the mail from jkh (I'm pretty sure it was him) that
> says that's why they did it?
>

> I suspect your definition of "long tradition" is a lot shorter than
> mine. That's they only way I can make that statement make sense - at
> least the part about BSD and other Unix vendors.

It's been in my tradition for Unix developement since 1986 when I
first joined comp.unix

anyhow, I think this is silly.

If you saw what Warner and others have to do to in battling the Linux
hordes, you'd also be looking to remove all the trivial complaints
that are made as excuses to not use BSD.

I think that we have to make a conscious decision as a project to
acknowledge the position we find ourselves in WRT 3rd party software
and make moves to lower the barriers to entry as much as we can.

for what it's worth I'm solidly with Warner on this one.