find -lname and -ilname implemented

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 23:13:46 UTC 2008

Instead of all the debate about GNU compatibility and the fact that the
patch adds a feature not readily available, why not improve FreeBSD's
find without caring about GNU's find?  I have not seen a way to capture
output from a command and compare it to another command.  Imagine
something conceptually like `find . -type l -execout readlink '{}' \;
-eq "foobar.txt" -print`?  Then it's possible to achieve the same
possibility as -lname, and far far more.  You could search for all
files with "foobar" in the last ten lines of the file even.  The
closest "viable" option to this that I know of is find2perl, and then
custom editing.

Not to mention, I imagine you'd soon see GNU find struggling for
FreeBSD find compatibility.