VM design doc?

Stanislav Sedov stas at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 24 17:44:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 11:48:05PM -0700 Deomid Ryabkov mentioned:
> Having noted that with time my understanding of how VM works in FreeBSD
> has somewhat blurred (not to say that it was ever complete),
> I reckoned it's time to go and read up on it.
>
> Thus I wonder, what relevance the "Design elements of the FreeBSD VM system"
> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vm-design/index.html)
> article has to both -CURRENT and -STABLE?
> Were there notable changes not mentioned in the article?
> Is there a better document on FreeBSD's current VM?

I'm not an expert in this field, but AFAIK the main design principles of the
VM subsystem remain. For further study I afraid you need to go for the source
code (sys/vm and sys/kern).

Also, McKusick book on FreeBSD, might be helpful too.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE