Synaptics Xorg driver for FreeBSD/amd64

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Mon Feb 18 18:23:28 UTC 2008

Norikatsu, good day.

Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 02:35:24AM +0900, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> Hi Eygene, thanks for your summary!

You're welcome!

> > > Sure, find it attached...
> > Aargh, this is the funny thing: you have no devices that are handled
> > by the 'mouse' driver.  And Xorg automatically adds one.
> > Please, uncomment your 'Mouse1' device inside "ServerLayout", start
> > moused and try again.  The '<default pointer>' should disappear.
> > And probably mices will start working.
> > It will be good to see Xorg.log from this attempt.
>
> 	I'm using x11-drivers/synaptics on FreeBSD/i386.  I don't have
> 	any problem which many people said.
>
> 	I have two questions:
>
> 	a. Anyone, do you install x11-drivers/xf86-input-void?
> 	   I didn't install x11-drivers/xf86-input-void.

Personally, I am not using xf86-input-void, because I am using
standard system mouse with synaptics touchpad, so I don't need
'void' input device.

> 	b. If you install x11-drivers/xf86-input-void, please check
> 	   following setting.
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"dummy"
> 	Driver		"void"
> EndSection
>
> 	I read source files of Xserver and void driver, but I didn't
> 	understand these relations:-(.

If you'll look at
  http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=blob;h=dbe158efc6e365cd5bd064d848df3a4f0c0d35f4;hb=43d9edd31e31b33b9da4a50d8ab05004881c8d5a;f=hw/xfree86/common/xf86Config.c#l1611
you will see that server tries to add the mouse driver if there is
no drivers of type 'mouse' or 'void'.  The hack with adding the "dummy"
input device with type "void" disables generation of default mouse
driver.  This was the true hack and it was a bit beautified in
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commit;h=ba9f5138fc32a7a7b97bcf941bc92751b7c6c2c0
now there is a boolean option "AllowEmptyInput" that inhibits creation
of core mouse and keyboard in any case.

> So I don't know that it's
> 	correct to fix this problem by way of b.  And, if x11-drivers/
> 	xf86-input-void is not installed, that's solution will be crashed.

Xorg server 1.4 already has "AllowEmptyInput", so Giulio and others
who want to run only Synaptics driver, can add the string
-----
Option "AllowEmptyInput"
-----
to their "ServerFlags" section and see no automagically added devices.
--
Eygene