[OT] Q: what would you choose for a VCS today

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Fri Feb 1 14:48:47 PST 2008

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 00:34:58 +0200 "Adrian Penisoara" <ady at freebsd.ady.ro> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2008 6:02 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:45:55 +0200 "Adrian Penisoara" <ady at freebsd.ady.ro>
> > wrote:
> > >   Side-topic, if you bear with me: if you were to choose again what to
> > use
> > > as source revision control system (VCS) from today's offerings, what
> > would
> > > you choose to maintain FreeBSD's sources or a side-off project tracking
> > > FreeBSD as base that would allow better teams cooperation and easy code
> > > merging between projects/branches ?
> >
> > Pretty much any post-CVS VCS will do that. But if you want a good
> > merge facility, Perforce's are - well, after getting used to them,
> > everything else feels like throwing your code against the wall and
> > hoping the right parts stick. I talked to one of the git developers
> > about a year ago, and they were thinking about adding a guided merge
> > inspired by what Perforce does.
> >
> I do trust you on Perforce being a strong contender for the job, but,
> unfortunately, looking at their licensing terms for OSS projects I do get
> some second thoughts. Perhaps that's why FreeBSD did not migrate mainstream
> sources over to P4 yet ;)...

I've found the folks at Perforce to be very amenable to reasonable
approaches. One of the founders is a strong FreeBSD advocate (IIRC, he
once said "Linux is cool. FreeBSD is double-plus cool."), and I
suspect they'd love to have the main FreeBSD repository on Perforce.

If the only thing preventing that was their OSS license terms, I'd be
surprised if they wouldn't at least consider relaxing them for
FreeBSD.

	<mike