vmstat layout

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 07:44:57 PST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 3:26 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> vmstat(1) tries very hard to fit everything in 80 columns.
>
> Unfortunately, it's been years since anyone had a machine where none
> of
> the columns overflowed.

[...]

> Removing columns is not an acceptable solution (it would break too
> many
> existing scripts), so I'm afraid we're going to have to make the
> output
> wider than 80 columns, unless someone can come up with a better
> solution.
>
> DES

What about multiline entries with indentation to group fields for
"human readable output"?

For example...

procs      memory      page
disks                     faults         cpu
r b w     avm    fre   flt  re  pi  po    fr  sr ad0 ad1 ad2 ad3 ad10
ad12   in   sy   cs us sy id
2 1 0    193M  1015M   444   2   8   0  4862   0   0   0   0   0   0
0  348 1297 4704  1  7 92

...may become something like...

field_title_0			field_title_1		field_title_2
[subfields go here]	[...]				[...]
	field_title_3		[...]				field_title_n

Does that make sense?

Cheers,