SSH Problem

Corne Kotze cornek at striata.com
Mon Dec 22 00:37:52 PST 2008

Hi all,

I have tried to register on the forums to search for any clues there,
but cannot as I keep on getting an error with regards to the image
verification.
"Image verification could not be verified due to server issues. Please
try again later."

The issue I have, hope somebody can help me, is with ssh security keys,
no matter if I use RSA or DSA keys with or without passwords, I still
have to login with a password to my FreeBSD server.
It is between a Linux server(Client server) and my FreeBSD server.

My setups are as follows:
>From client server:
Linux nagios-server 2.6.23-hardened-r4 #1 SMP
OpenSSH_4.7p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007

To FreeBSD server:
FreeBSD secure-server 6.1-RELEASE-p17 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p17 #0: Fri
May 25 19:54:30 IST 2007
root at secure-server:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SECURESRV-SMP  i386
OpenSSH_4.2p1 FreeBSD-20050903, OpenSSL 0.9.7e-p1 25 Oct 2004

In my "/etc/rc.conf":
sshd_enable="NO"
sshd2_enable="YES"

I have tried the public key in various directories, in the users home
directory, ie.
.ssh/authorized_keys
.ssh/authorized_keys2

.ssh2/authorized_keys
.ssh2/authorized_keys2

Permissions are set to 700 for the .ssh(2) directories and 600 for the
authorized_keys(2) files.

User and group access are also correct, and connection from the client
machine is also with the correct user.

If I change to the following in my "/etc/rc.conf" file:
sshd_enable="YES"
sshd2_enable="NO"

Restart sshd, the keys work fine, no issues, I connect 100% without
having to type any passwords.

Thank you kindly

CK