keeping track of local modifications

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Tue Dec 2 23:10:08 PST 2008

jT, good day.

Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 07:15:55PM -0500, jT wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > The fact that `$FreeBSD$' is extracted in unexpanded form by the current
> > svn->hg converter is a limitation of the Python bindings of Subversion.
> > They do not support expansion of the svn:keywords property of checked
> > out files.
> >

>    So am i to understand that there is no automatic way to use Hg or
> Git? -- and as Eygene said in order to use them in such a manner
> special patching will be required?

I am happily using Git for my FreeBSD work: I have local repository that
is just CVSupped from time to time to sync the master branch to the
mainline and, possibly, rebase my work against it.  This isn't even
git-svn, just Git repo + CVSup.  Probably git-svn will also work here,
but as ports are still using CVS and I have both ports and src
repositories, this is just easier for me to use CVSup.  Yes, I am losing
the commit history, but I don't care about this: cvsweb.freebsd.org is
still alive and kicking.

About patching: the point was that some percentage of patches, that are
carrying '$FreeBSD$' tags in their body, won't apply cleanly in some
situations (namely, when your patch is based on the revision N and
maintainer applies it to the revision != N).  It turns to be true even
for Subversion itself, but the hope isn't completely lost -- for some
cases patches can be applied with fuzz (namely, ignoring the '$Id'
mismatch).  Larry Wall and others were smart about introducing the fuzz
factor ;))

> I too am looking to set something
> else up other than my SVN repository because i personally prefer Hg
> and Git to SVN.  Thank you to all who have contributed to this
> conversation it has been extremely informative for me and i'm sure
> several others.

I think that you can at least try to work with git-svn: you'll check out
the master timely and will be able to rebase your own work, provided
that it is lying in the separate branches.  This way you'll have the
whole history, at least you should.

Don't know for Mercurial, hadn't used it for FreeBSD yet.
--
Eygene