Request for Comments: Update to developers-handbook/policies

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 24 20:07:40 UTC 2008

Dear Members,

A few weeks ago, I started to work on docs/126030 [1] in cooperation
with Gavin Atkinson (gavin@) and Giorgos Keramidas (keramida@) to update
chapter ``Source Tree Guidelines and Policies'' of the ``FreeBSD
Developers' Handbook'' [2].  Based on Gavin's original patch, I created
drafts on how to fix the sections in question (and I linked them below).

During the update, I found useful to include a section of Dag-Erling's
Subversion Primer on the Wiki [3] about vendor imports.  At the moment,
I do not erase the old text (about vendor imports with CVS) but I kept
it for compatibility reasons (and moved to a separate subsection as des@
advised).  However, if somebody says it is deemed to be removed I will
do that.

Because I am not so experienced in vendor imports (as a doc committer)
but I would like to help Gavin (and others who want this book updated),
I ask you to review my changes and express your ideas, comments and
suggestion.

Note: This mail was posted to -doc a few days ago.  I have not received
any answer to it (maybe due to its highly technical nature), but I hope
members of list will comment on this.

Draft of section (5.1) MAINTAINER on Makefiles:

http://people.freebsd.org/~pgj/for_review/2008-08-21/html/policies.html

Draft of section (5.2) Contributed Software:

http://people.freebsd.org/~pgj/for_review/2008-08-21/html/policies-contributed.html

Diff for the curious:

http://people.freebsd.org/~pgj/for_review/2008-08-21/books.developers-handbook.policies.diff

Thank you in advance.