What is difference between /etc/rc called programs and ones called after login prompt shows up

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Sat Aug 23 23:39:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:13:49 +0100
RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:38:13 -0400
> "Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > c) See a additionally to prove all the above here is my /etc/rc (the
> > last 2 lines where added just to prove the point):
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
> >
> > swapon -a
> > fsck -p
> > fuse: failed to exec mount program: No such file or directory
> >
> > Thus it is clear that the *ONLY* difference between the /etc/rc
> > calls and the post getty calls is when they are made.
>
> There's another difference: your /etc/rc script doesn't export PATH.

That does seem to be the answer.

I was curious as to why it only fails on ntfs, so I had a look
at the source. It seems that mount and fsck find mount_* and fsck_*
through a hard-coded path of "/rescue:/sbin:/usr/sbin", but
mount_ntfs-3g then additionally has to find mount_fusefs through the
environment path.

Perhaps sysutils/fusefs-libs should be patched to make the whole thing
more self-consistent.