What is difference between /etc/rc called programs and ones called after login prompt shows up

Gary Jennejohn gary.jennejohn at freenet.de
Sat Aug 23 13:33:57 UTC 2008

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 06:34:23 -0400
"Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is difference between /etc/rc.d called programs and ones called
> after login prompt shows up?
>
> The reason for asking is sysutils/fusefs-kmod gives an error if any
> mounts are attempted in /etc/rc but if the exactly the same command is
> issued by a user's .login/.xsession/etc. it works without problem
> (assuming proper permissions of course).
>
> a) Can anyone think of a reason why this would happen (the maintainer
> is non-responive)

I suspect that fuse.ko is loaded by one of the scripts under /etc/rc.d
since it seems to be installed under $PREFIX/modules where PREFIX is
normally /usr/local.  Until that happens you can't use mount_fusefs.

> b) Is it possible to force something to run after /etc/rc exits but
> before init calls getty?

Well, there are ways to force dependencies in the rc.d scripts, but I
don't know the setup well enough to be helpful.  I have no idea which
script handles modules installed by ports and when it is invoked.

You could try moving fuse.ko to /boot/modules and modify loader.conf
to load fuse.ko at boot time.

---
Gary Jennejohn