MFC of r180753: ABI problems?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Aug 23 06:43:59 UTC 2008

In message: <200808212351.13464.max at love2party.net>
            Max Laier <max at love2party.net> writes:
: Hi,
:
: I'm wondering how to merge r180753 to stable/7 as luoqi@ has indicated that he
: doesn't have time to take care of it right now.
:
: It seems that changing the size of pcicfgregs (aka struct pcicfg) which is
: part of struct pci_devinfo is out of the question, right?  Ideas where to
: store the HT related state or how to avoid storing the state are welcome.
:
: The merge result is attached for reference.  This fix is essential for many
: nforce based boards from ASUS which are rather common, I'm afraid.  So it
: would be good to have this in 7.1/6.4, I think.

I think this is OK.

pcicfgregs is an internal to pci implementation detail.  You've added
it at the end, so any leakage of the offsets won't matter.  All
subclasses of pci would be affected.  Internal to the kernel isn't all
that interesting, since they are all compiled at the same time.  This
would only matter for modules.  Cardbus and acpi would be the only
modules affected.  That would mean you couldn't boot a 7.0 kernel with
a 7.1 set of modules or vice versa.  I'm not sure that is actually
going to work anyway...

Warner