Driver accessing other drivers/devices ?

Alex Hornung ahornung at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 07:59:23 UTC 2008

Hello,

I need to access the hard disk from within a driver that is not a FS.
I would also need to get a list of PCI devices connected. Is there a
way I can access these devices directly, at least in the first case,
issuing directly ATA/IDE commands to the hard disk?
In the case of PCI it would be even nicer to be able to communicate
with the pci driver... but if that's not possible, it's also ok if I
can access the PCI bus controller directly. The driver I'm writing is
not a PCI or PCI device driver either.

Hope someone can help me out on this one, it's important that there's
no user-space code...

Thanks in advance,
Alex