Debugging reboot with Linux emulation

Wed Aug 13 11:28:36 UTC 2008

Quoting "Nate Eldredge" <neldredge at math.ucsd.edu> (from Tue, 12 Aug
2008 23:52:35 -0700 (PDT)):

> Hi folks,
>
> I recently tried to run a Linux binary of Maple (commercial math
> software) on my FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE/amd64 box, and the machine
> rebooted.  I tried it again while watching the console, and no panic
> message appeared to be produced.  Does anyone have any ideas on how
> to debug problems of this nature?  I realize I may not be able to
> get Maple to work, but in any case the system should not die like
> this, so I can at least try to fix that bug.
>
> Incidentally, is it possible to run kdb with a USB keyboard?
> Hitting Ctrl-Alt-Esc gives me the kdb prompt, but I can't type, so I
> can do nothing except hit the power button.  I do have
> hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1" in /boot/device.hints.  Unfortunately I
> don't have a PS/2 keyboard on hand, though I can try and get a hold
> of one if all else fails.

A guess out of my cristallball:
That's one of the cases which happen if you run a linux program
without branding it as a linux program first. People tend to think it
is not needed, but in some rare circumstances it just causes what you
see, a reboot. So go and identify all binaries (IMPORTANT: but not the
libraries!), e.g. with the file(1), and use "brandelf -t Linux" on
those programs.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
	She said, "I know you ... you cannot sing."
	I said, "That's nothing, you should hear me play piano."