If not the force, what should I use? (Was: FreeBSD in Business (was Re: Idea for FreeBSD))

Jonathan McKeown jonathan+freebsd-hackers at hst.org.za
Wed Aug 13 06:11:49 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 17:51:32 Mike Meyer wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:10:22 +0200 "Adrian Penisoara" <ady at freebsd.ady.ro>
wrote:

> > Umm, I have used Gentoo and I do not remember having to use
> > "forcestart" at the command line...
>
> Ok, given that you 1) want to have both "XXXX this service if it's
> part of our normal runtime" and "XXXX this service even if it's not
> part of our normal runtime" as script commands, and that 2) XXXX
> without a prefix gets the "if it's part of our normal runtime"
> meaning, as we want the user to have to explicitly say "Yes, I know
> this looks odd, but I know what I'm doing so do it anyway" to get the
> "even if it's not part of our normal runtime" behavior, then what
> would you have us use instead of "forceXXXX"?

People keep talking about forcestart.

Unless I'm misunderstanding things horribly, forcestart does exactly that -
forces the service to start regardless of any error that may occur.

The better option for starting something as a one-off (not enabled in rc.conf)
is mnemonically named onestart - which only ignores the rcvar but still fails
on any other error.

And yes, I like having onestart/onestop distinguished from start/stop.

Jonathan