Idea for FreeBSD

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Thu Aug 7 20:18:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 11:16:36PM -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> >The Solaris smf tools provide some nice facilities: one is single
> >interface to start, stop, check and restart all the services on a
> >system. We pretty much have that ...
> >The other is a single interface to enable, disable and query the
> >status of all the services. All we really have is the last one...
>
> Sounds like the only missing pieces, then, are standard
> ways to enable, disable, and configure services.  How about:
>
>   sudo /etc/rc.d/ssh enable
>   sudo /etc/rc.d/ssh disable
>   sudo /etc/rc.d/ssh configure
>
> That shouldn't be much of a stretch to implement, either.
> The first two just append entries to /etc/rc.conf.  The
> third opens an editor with a list of variables supported
> by this service and then appends the result to rc.conf.

Pretty much the same came to my mind some weeks ago.
I'd propose a "rcadm" command like Solaris' svcadm, so you do not need
to care about if the rc script is in /etc/rc.d or in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d.
And it would be safer to check if the service is already listed in
rc.conf, so it doesn't get appended every time  you enable a service.