Idea for FreeBSD

Jan Grant jan.grant at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 14:17:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> writes:
> > So you take each line from inetd.conf (literally) and wrap it in
> > several KB of XML.  This definitely adds to bloat and doesn't even
> > obey the spirit of XML (since the content of each inetd.conf entry
> > remains opaque).
>
> s/inetd/rc/g
>
> I completely agree with you - but I also agree with whoever it was that
> suggested adding enable / disable commands to rc.subr.

inetd.conf too(!); see inetconv(1M)

Whilst solaris has some nice bits and pieces, the tendency to take
configuration (static and dynamic) and shove it into an opaque database
I personally find problematic: compare the ISC and solaris dhcp servers,
for instance.

enable/disable sound interesting, however.

jan

--
jan grant, ISYS, University of Bristol. http://www.bris.ac.uk/
Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/